Research Consultant - Field Scan on Emerging Technology in the Public Interest
Civic Hall is seeking a research consultant (or team) to conduct a field scan assessing current tools and applications of emerging technology and its use for public good. The field scan will assess:
- The current state of emerging technologies such as AI and machine learning and their use and application in the civic technology and the public sectors.
- The potential for emerging technologies to advance positive transformational change within the public and civic technology sectors.
- Barriers and risks to wider adoption of such emerging technologies.
This field scan is intended to inform the need for a center for emerging technologies in the public interest, and provide background for a potential future feasibility study for the development of such as center.
The consultant/researcher will work, with assistance from other members of the team, to conduct field research, interviews, and collect data. They will be responsible for conducting a field scan on emerging technologies and their use in the public interest; compiling recommended tools and resources, a catalog of available support instruments and public reports, and a list of convenings and trainings; co-creating a curriculum for an emerging technology in the public interest course for Civic Hall’s Digital Learning Center; and co-curating a Civic Hall event.
Anticipated Start Date: October 1, 2019
Reports To: This position reports to the President.
Anticipated Fee Range and Duration: $8,000 to $10,000/per month for 4 months, commensurate with experience.
Candidates should be focused on the ethical and practical challenges around emerging technologies like AI, machine learning, sensors, etc. Candidates should have:
- A demonstrated ability to conduct and publish rigorous research, demonstrated by prior publication in academic, think tank or general interest outlets.
- 3-5 years of relevant professional experience.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to adapt to different contexts and converse across disciplines
- Strong leadership and management skills